Pseudo Joe

Recently, a consultant buddy of mine was assigned to a project in Iowa.  I immediately told him to look for Pseudo Sue by Toppling Goliath.  He found some and raved so much about it, he muled some back for me to try.  I instantly knew what beer I would attempt to brew next.

After perusing the HomeBrewTalk forums for a clone recipe, I found a thread that had lots of input from multiple brewers.  I took what they came up with and tweaked it a little to come up with this recipe:

Batch Size: 6.00 gal Style: American Pale Ale (18B)
Boil Size: 9.42 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 5.6 SRM Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) – BIAB
Bitterness: 76.6 IBUs* Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.061 (15.1° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Full Body
Est FG: 1.017 SG (4.4° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 5.8% Taste Rating: 30.0
Amount Name Type #
10.45 gal Atlanta, GA Water 1
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs 4.00 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4
4.00 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt – 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6
0.75 oz Warrior [15.0%] – First Wort Hops 7
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] – Steep 35 min Hops 8
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] – Boil 0 min Hops 9
2 pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast 10
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] – Dry Hop 5 days Hops 11
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] – Dry Hop 3 days Hops 12

*Note the IBUs are probably not accurate.  It’s much less bitter than this but all the late hop additions cause Beersmith to overcalculate the IBUs. It’s probably closer to 45-50.

Since it had been 2 years since my last brew, I knew I would be a little rusty.  Also, in my attempt to gradually improve my brewing process and brew gear, I added several new facets to my brew day.

  1. Inkbird 308 temperature controller for my mini-fridge fermenter
  2. Counterflow Chiller to cool the wort faster after brewing
  3. BIAB!! (Brew in a bag)

The last item was the biggest change for me.  In the past, I used a cooler as my mash tun with a CPVC manifold instead of a false bottom.  It worked great but transferring hot wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle was always a pain and inevitably when I would remember 3 days later that I never cleaned out the mash tun, I ended up with a nasty smelling surprise when I’d open the lid.

With BIAB, I had an inexpensive muslin/mesh bag from Amazon that I could fit over my boil kettle.  I simply mashed the crushed grains in the bag and then lifted the spent grains out like a giant tea bag afterwards.  No wort transfers as the wort was sitting in the boil kettle already!

Going forward, I bought a reusable BIAB bag (redundant?) from Wilserbrewer a very reputable bag maker in the home brewing network, so I look forward to the next batch where I can use it.

As for this beer, brew day went very smoothly, surprisingly.  I attempted a whirlpool for some aroma hops which I suppose went OK, although it was more steeping than whirlpooling as I was too busy trying to figure out the counterflow chiller on the fly.  Oh well.


The beer, although darker than I expected, turned out great.  I did fine it with gelatin, so it’s not as hazy as Pseudo Sue, but the grapefruit/citrus/mango/piney flavors and aromas are totally there!  Overall, this is one of the best beers I’ve ever brewed which I’m attributing mostly to a good recipe and temperature-controlled fermentation (~64 F).

Aside from the beer, I had a lot of fun converting the Pseudo Sue label to Pseudo Joe!  I had to watch a ton of youtube videos on GIMP techniques, but in the end, I was pretty proud of the final product.


Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: